Friday, December 31, 2010

Celebrating God's Goodness

"They will celebrate Your abundant goodness." Psalm 145:7a

God is good all the time, and all the time my God is good. His goodness abounds in big ways and small ones. Sometimes I get so caught up with the things that are weighing me down in life that I miss His daily displays of kindness. When I take time to recognize even the littlest things God does each day, I have much more to celebrate and praise Him for; my outlook on life is much more upbeat. "Celebrate" is an upbeat word that implies commemoration. It means to applaud, boost, bless, cheer, compliment, exalt, praise or proclaim. Celebrating and praising God in the day to day, not just when big things happen, changes my heart to one of gratitude and thanksgiving, vs. one that is dissatisfied or complaining. A life that seeks to celebrate God's goodness is one that surely encourages others and blesses the Father. His goodness abounds and God's Word instructs us to celebrate it!

How would my outlook on life change if I began to celebrate God's goodness in my words, actions and attitude on a regular basis? If I began to look for the good in things? In times past, while walking through difficult trials, celebrating or praising God in the little things gave me renewed strength and faith to press on, keep serving Him - believing and hoping He would eventually work it all out for my good.

The end of the year seems a fitting time to reflect back and "celebrate" - whether through words of praise, a testimony shared or a prayer of thanksgiving to the Father - all that God has done. Isaiah 63:7 says, "I will tell of the kindness of the LORD, the deeds for which He is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us - yes, the many good things He has done for [us], according to His compassion and many kindnesses."

At the Mattox house we have MUCH to celebrate and be grateful for. Though our personal list is much more specific, some general categories include:

  • spiritual growth
  • marriage blessings
  • deepening friendships
  • abundant provision
  • health and healing
  • ministry opportunities
  • answered prayer

How has God shown His abundant goodness to you this year? What's on your list to celebrate?

Father God, I thank You, I praise You, I celebrate Your goodness. Your compassions never fail. Your mercies are new every morning. Your kindness cannot be measured. Thank You for blessing me and my family. I love You Lord Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment