Saturday, December 18, 2010

Practical Humility

"...when you are invited, take the lowest place... For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 14:10a, 11

I should make it my goal, my nature, to treat others as more important than myself, giving them the place of honor; this is true humility. When I don't, and think of myself more highly than I ought, God often humbles me in a matter of moments. When He does this, I am usually caught off guard and quickly realize the error of my ways, and the need to repent.

It is by watching the example of those more humble than I that I learn how to raise the bar of my own level of humility... hold a door, let others go first, go through the food line last (even if it means my favorite dish will be gone!), make others feel important in a sincere way, listen more and speak less.

Lord Jesus, thank You for modeling this kind of practical humility to me through people You have placed in my life throughout the years. Long after I have forgotten other details about these individuals, I still remember their kind, "others first" nature and the impact it had on my life. The mannerisms of a truly humble person stand out and look way more like You than this "me first" world we live in. I pray You would continue to show me ways to be humble in my words and actions towards others, that I may look more like You each day. In Your loving name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment