Friday, December 10, 2010

Godless Chatter

"Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly." 2 Timothy 2:16

Godless chatter means talk that is worldly, empty, vain, useless, worthless or foolish. I believe this includes words that tear down instead of build up, rambling on about things of little importance, or talk about things that are none of my business (a.k.a. gossip). I am reminded of a word spoken by a pastor years ago that has always stuck with my husband and I: "If you're not part of the problem, or part of the solution, it's gossip." That instruction has both directed me and convicted me in many conversations over the years.

God's Word is saying if I elect to indulge or "treat myself to" such talk, I would be expressing words that hurt vs. words that heal, entertaining shallow conversations, talking about others to people I am not at liberty to share the information with, and would therefore reflect my Lord less and less. I must be diligent about guarding my tongue and choosing my words wisely, and selective about the company I keep. I like the way The Message version sums up this passage: "Words are not mere words, you know. If they're not backed up by a godly life, they accumulate as poison in the soul."

If I want to live an effective life for Christ, I must continue to exercise restraint with my tongue. I must be careful about what I take in with my ears. I must build others up, and pray about any thoughts I am tempted to speak that would tear down. I must surround myself with godly, like-minded people who speak words of life and encouragement. In this way I will become more like Christ and look less and less like the world.

Father God, I ask You to put a muzzle over my mouth when I am tempted to speak in a way that would hurt, tear down others, or misrepresent You. Help me to guard my ears and avoid situations, conversations and entertainment that is not pleasing in Your sight. And I ask You Lord to surround me with people that are growing in their faith and are passionate about their love for You, so that I am encouraged and built up. In Jesus' Name I thank You for hearing my prayers and answering. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment