Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Fragrant Prayer

"May my prayers be set before You like incense..." Psalm 141:2

"...the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints." Revelation 5:8

My prayers, as a believer, are like incense to my Lord. Incense is a spice that generally produces a pleasing fragrance when burnt. An incense offering was meant to please God in hopes that He would respond favorably to a request or need, if it pleased Him to do so.

Prayer examined in contrast with incense indicates that petitions produce a fragrance that is acceptable and pleasing to the Lord. Just as smoke from the burning incense rises and is carried upward, it symbolizes the ascent of our prayers to God's heavenly throne. There the prayers of the saints (believers) are collected in golden bowls as incense producing a fragrant aroma before the Lord.

Every word of every prayer - whether spoken boldly, or uttered through tears, whispered quietly or prayed silently - produces a sweet and fragrant odor that is wafted up to my Father in heaven. He knows my heart, He sees my struggles, He hears my praises and sees my tears...and He counts them all precious. Like the beautiful fragrance of the finest perfume, my petitions please Him. He treats each one as something of great worth and value, collecting them in bowls of gold.

Father God, thank You for silencing all of heaven to hear my prayers. Thank You that each word spoken in prayer is a fragrant offering, of great worth to You. Thank You for collecting each one. Just as You collect my tears in a bottle, you collect my prayers in bowls of gold. They are precious to You, which means I am precious to You. Thank You for loving me so! In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment