Friday, December 3, 2010

Build My People Up

"We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up." Romans 15:1-2

After cross-referencing this verse in multiple translations, I understand it to say that especially when I am strong in my faith and convictions, I have an obligation to bear with or be considerate of those around me. Those who are sensitive, those who might fail or disappoint me, those who doubt or are weak in their faith. I must not seek to just please myself. I shouldn't be "me-focused" but "others-focused". I am called by God to help my neighbor, my family member, my friend, my co-worker, or whomever God puts in my path, to do what is right by edifying them, strengthening them, and building them up spiritually in the Lord.

Thank You Lord for the many people that have had (and continue to have) patience with me as I have grown up in my faith. Thank You for those that faithfully interceded on my behalf. Thank You for the timely advice and encouragement from friends. Thank You for giving me a song for every season to praise You, or to keep a flicker of hope alive. Thank You mostly for Your Word - the many scriptures that have sustained me. Help me Lord to be an encourager and lifter of spirits to those around me that need to be built up in You today. In Jesus' Name I Pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment