Monday, December 6, 2010

God's Best

Borrowing this devo thought from a friends FB status yesterday...

 
... that every relationship rests on three legs: accepting, supporting and challenging. That's really it, isn't it? You want your relationships to be grounded on accepting each other as you are. On supporting each other through the inevitable ups and downs. On challenging each other to become more, to grow, to flourish. Which one of these is the more difficult one for you, and how are you going to practice it in the next 24 hours?

On this day, after investing years in growing a friendship, loving and accepting each other, leaning on each other through life's many ups and downs...encouraging some dear friends to grow and flourish is the hardest. Today, God's idea and mine on how to do this are far different. His idea is hard to swallow. As I have reflected on all that God is doing and how I can encourage my friends, a familiar verse from Proverbs echoes in my mind...

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Selfishly, I want God to work out His challenging, growing and flourishing right here, locally. But His idea, is to do it somewhere else. Today I must practice this by loving my friends enough to let them go, knowing that when God determines their steps, His way is His best for them. As much as I may want things to work out my way, that's my selfish side talking. That's me planning the course of our future. But when I set that aside, and believe God is answering prayer, making a way where there seemed to be no way, doing what seemed impossible...I am reminded that He has everything under control, and He knows best. In that mindset, I can say to my friends in an unselfish way...

"May [God] give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed." Psalm 20:4

No comments:

Post a Comment