Monday, March 7, 2011

Why So Downcast?

"Why are you so downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 48:5

David's soul and his spirits were down. He was groaning within after crying out to the Lord for justice. He asks himself - or his soul, rather - why it is so downcast and disturbed. Then, he shifts to a pep talk. He tells his soul to put its hope in the Lord and once again praise Him. Praise His Savior! Praise His God! The One in whom all hope is found!

My soul too is weary and downcast some days, yet it is my choice as to whether I am going to wallow in it. I can choose instead to set my emotions and feelings aside and start speaking hope and truth into my soul. The wise choice - the one that will lift my spirits in the midst of difficulty - is to praise Him anyway. Regardless of my circumstances, my God is worthy of all my praise!

Father God, I choose to walk in a spirit of praise today, lifting up Your name and recalling Your goodness. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment