Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pride and Destruction

"...when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

"...If you forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them...you will surely be destroyed." Deuteronomy 8:12-14, 19

Pride leads to destruction (Proverbs 16:18). This is a strong warning from the Lord. He wants my heart's undivided attention - my affections focused on Him. Though He may bless me with nice things and bring me increase, or multiply His provisions for me and my family, He gives a warning to heed: do not let these "things" steal your gaze. Keep your attention focused on "Me".

The Lord my God brought me out of bondage, He restored my broken life, and I must remember that all blessing comes from His hand. "...it is He who gives the ability to produce wealth" (Deuteronomy 8:18). If my heart swells with pride thinking any of the blessing was because of my own doing, or thinking after all I have been through I deserve what He has given, or if I let other things become my priority over Him, God's Word says I will risk destruction. I must strive instead to live the rest of my life as a heartfelt "thank You" to my God. I want my life, my responses, my thoughts and attitudes and so on, to all He does for and through me, to be pleasing to Him.

Father, thank You for humbling me and testing me and causing me to hunger and thirst for You O God. Thank You for teaching me to call on Your name, and for hearing my cries and answering. Thank You for lavishing Your love and provision on us as You restored my life. Keep me ever mindful of the things You have done for me, so that I can be ever grateful. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment