Thursday, January 6, 2011

When You Hear His Voice

"So, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert.'" Hebrews 3:7-8

I believe God expects me to hear His voice daily because a heart that truly wants to be more like Jesus would be seeking Him daily. This passage says, "Today, if you hear His voice," - other versions say "when" - implying I have or will spend time seeking Him...today. It goes on to give instruction: "do not harden your hearts" as Israel did in the rebellion, when they tested the Lord in the wilderness. The writer cautions believers (including me) to not turn a deaf ear to the things God impresses, but rather to walk in obedience. Remember from yesterday's entry, "Hearing God's Word but not doing what it says is sin."

My life will profit from what the Lord speaks to me only if I believe in faith what He says, persevere, and do what He prompts me to. It is not up to me to pick and choose what I want to believe or what I feel like doing. If I am going to have faith and my life impact the kingdom, I must believe all of God's Word and do what it says - not just today, but every day, to the best of my ability. Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible says, "Perseverance in faith is the best evidence of the sincerity of our faith."

Lord Jesus, help me to live with a sincere and persevering faith. Keep my ears attuned to Your voice, my heart tender to Your Word, and my spirit willing to obey. I pray this in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment