Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Spacious Place

"The LORD said, 'I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out... and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey.'" Exodus 3:7-8a

God sees past the Sunday face. Past the facade. Past the smile used to camouflage real feelings and underlying struggles. He looks below the surface and sees into the heart.

God indeed takes notice and considers the things that weigh me down. He knows what is on my mind when I lay my head on the pillow at night. He knows what is going on within when I emotionally shut down. And when I take those things to Jesus' feet and cry out to Him, He silences all of Heaven to hear my prayers. God does not turn a deaf ear to the cries of His burdened children. God's Word says He is concerned about my sorrows, sufferings and trials. Not in a pacing, wringing His hands, worried kind of way, but in an attentive way. A loving, caring, interested way. More than that, He enters into them with a plan...

God has come to rescue the oppressed and deliver them to a spacious land "flowing with milk and honey" - a land of plenty. He has the power to resolve even the most puzzling and impossible circumstances. Matthew Henry's Commentary says that, "when God does something very extraordinary He is said to come down to do it." Isaiah 64:1 says,

"Oh, that You would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains would tremble before You!"

Just as with my redemption in Christ, He came down from Heaven to deliver me from death to life on the cross. He has also come down and exchanged my bondage for liberty, my poverty for plenty, and delivered me to the spacious place He promised me years ago. A blue sky kind of place!

"He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me." Psalm 18:19

My God sees,
He hears,
He has a plan and
He rescues!

Thank You Jesus! Thank You for Your attentiveness. Thank You for open ears. Thank You for genuine concern for all that concerns me. Thank You for delighting in me so much that You would come down and rescue me from those things that oppressed me, and deliver me into a spacious land of plenty. I am so blessed! In Jesus' name and with a grateful heart, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment