Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Be Intentional

"We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to do what we have heard, so that we do not drift away." Hebrews 2:1

As we draw closer to the end times this verse seems to weigh heavier and heavier on my heart. With rapidly advancing technology, among other day to day distractions, it seems easier and easier to get sidetracked from spending devoted time with the Lord. God's Word warns however that we must be diligent, intentional, about paying close attention to "what we have heard" so that we do not drift away.

One might think "what we heard" applies only to Sunday morning sermons, but not so. I believe it includes "what we have heard" God speak to us personally through His Word, in response to our prayers, and in being still before the Lord... every day. That kind of hearing takes intentionality. What's more is that we are not only to take in God's instruction, but do what it says. Hearing God's Word and not doing what it says is sin. James 1:22 and 25 speak about such obedience. "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says... the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does" (emphasis added).

Be intentional.
Listen to the Word.
Do what it says.
Don't forget.
Do not drift away.
Keep doing it.
God will bless it!

Father God, I know that being intentional means making Your Word a priority in my life every day. Help me to keep my time with You protected and sacred. Help me to keep Your Word in the forefront of my mind, at the beginning of the day, so that I can meditate on it all day long. Your Word gives life. Your Word grants freedom. Fill me up with You I pray. In Jesus' name I ask this, amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment