Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting Real

I just need to be real and speak from a heart of conviction today...

Words give life to feelings or conditions of the heart, good or bad. God's Word says, "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." (Matthew 12:34) If my heart is good, my words should be a reflection of it. By the same token, if my heart is unhappy, disgruntled, frustrated, or a host of other things, if I am not careful, my words will get me into trouble. Giving life to those unpleasant feelings through complaining words opens me up for enemy attack. I know because he has taken some of the words I have spoken out of frustration over a situation and turned them back on me in the form of shame.

Just a few days ago, I identified the feelings that had been weighing me down and began asking the Lord to reveal to me where the shame was coming from. While driving the kids to school this morning, He spoke again. He brought clarity and conviction about the door I had opened to let the enemy in, and it grieved me. I was reminded that my "attitude should be like that of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5) regardless of my frustrations. The enemy had been so subtle and crafty this time. I began struggling with being in a funk and weighed down not long after starting this blog. Isn't it just like the enemy to strap me down with "shame" after deciding on the name "unashamed" for my blog! But praise God, this morning He gave me eyes to see the spiritual warfare, call the enemy out on it, and courage to seek forgiveness from those spoken to.

As I close, let me clarify my thoughts. I am not saying that we should not confide in our spouse, a family member or a close friend about the things we are struggling with and the things for which we need prayer. I am saying that we should take our complaints (or complaining spirit) to the LORD. He already knows what's in our hearts and He has the answers. David says in Psalm 142:1-3, "I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. I pour out my complaint before him; before Him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me." He clearly does not say take your complaints to the LORD and a friend. Or take your complaints to a friend first, then when you can't figure things out come to Me. No, God says when we don't know what to do, we are to fix our eyes on Him (2 Chronicles 20:12). Pour our troubles out to Him, because He knows our way. I think this understanding should lead me to be more cautious about how I share my struggles. Am I sharing in a way that puts others off and makes me out to be a complainer? Or being real about what's on my heart, but sharing in a way that causes me to exercise caution with my words, especially when referring to others?

Father God, I thank You for enlightening me today. For revealing the source of the load I have been carrying. I pray You would continue to give me eyes to see the enemy's schemes. I ask You Lord to guard my tongue and help me build others up with my words, and bite my tongue when I feel a complaint coming on. In Jesus' name, amen.

1 comment: