Monday, January 10, 2011

Boldly & Persistently

In reading Luke 11:5-10, a parable about a persistent friend, prayer seems to be paralleled with persistence and boldness. In cross-referencing the verse about boldness (v.8), I read Luke 18:1-8, a parable on prayer whereby a widow's persistence is rewarded.

God's Word says in Luke 11, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

The verse preceeding this passage implies boldness or persistence in the asking. The gentleman in the parable was asking his neighbor for bread to feed unexpected guests. The hour was about midnight so the neighbor was already tucked in bed. Only when the man knocking and asking reached the point of being relentless did he get up and give him not just some bread, but all the bread he needed.

So it was with the story of the widow in Luke 18. She kept pleading her case before the judge. The passage says she kept coming to him and bothering him. She was just about to wear him out with her determination, so he gave in and granted her the justice she sought.

The Lord says in verses 6-8 that He grants justice to His chosen ones. The ones who cry out to Him day and night. Those who come boldly and persistently with faith will see God's hand move in their favor if  it pleases Him; if what is being asked is aligned with His will. Personally, I don't want it if it's not, because God knows better than I what is best for me! So...

Keep asking.
Keep seeking.
Keep knocking.
Boldly.
Persistently.
Pray!

Lord Jesus, I come to You again with persistence and boldness, pleading my case before You, asking You to plead it before the Father. I ask only for Your best for me with the situations and requests that are on my heart. Align my will with Yours, Lord. I ask You to grant justice and favor where it pleases You. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment