When I pray, it should be from a heart that accepts in advance the will of God. Whether I know what His will is or not, and whether or not He grants or withholds my request, my prayer should be petitioned with a desire for what God deems best for me.
There is nothing wrong with my telling God in a prayerful way what I want Him to do for me, as long as I consider a few things in the asking:
- Are my hands clean and my heart pure before God as I pray, ensuring the lines of communication are open both ways?
- Do I really believe God can do what I am asking Him to do?
- Does my request scripturally line up with His Word?
- Am I praying with an attitude of reverence and worship vs. haughtiness?
- Is there a kingdom purpose to my prayer, or am I seeking selfish gain?