Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jesus Asked...

Speaking to a blind man who was pleading with the Lord to have mercy on him, "Jesus asked him, 'What do you want Me to do for you?'" Luke 18:41

When I pray, it should be from a heart that accepts in advance the will of God. Whether I know what His will is or not, and whether or not He grants or withholds my request, my prayer should be petitioned with a desire for what God deems best for me.

There is nothing wrong with my telling God in a prayerful way what I want Him to do for me, as long as I consider a few things in the asking:

  • Are my hands clean and my heart pure before God as I pray, ensuring the lines of communication are open both ways?
  • Do I really believe God can do what I am asking Him to do?
  • Does my request scripturally line up with His Word?
  • Am I praying with an attitude of reverence and worship vs. haughtiness?
  • Is there a kingdom purpose to my prayer, or am I seeking selfish gain?
Father in Heaven, Holy is Your name. You alone are worthy of all praise. You, O Lord, are Sovereign, You are Good and You are Able to do even the impossible if it is pleasing in Your sight. As I bring my personal petitions before You Lord, help me to examine my heart and consider the purpose and motive in each prayer. Lord, I want my will to be aligned with Yours so that my requests line up with Your plans for me. May my motives always be pure in prayer, and be for my good or the good of others, or have kingdom purpose. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment