Friday, January 28, 2011

Courage to Speak Up

"For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard." Acts 4:20

In this passage, Peter and John have been brought before the Sanhedrin and asked to stop speaking about Jesus.

As a believer, it is my Biblical obligation to testify to the things I have seen God do in my life and the things I have clearly heard Him speak through His Word. If I am walking with Him I should feel compelled to the point I "cannot help" but speak about Christ.

Not only should I speak, I should ask the Lord to help me speak about Him confidently and boldly. Acts 4 goes on to say in verse 29, "enable Your servants to speak Your Word with great boldness."

I do not have to be a highly educated, celebrated woman to speak. I need only be a woman who spends time with Jesus. Verse 13 says, "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." These men were just like me, unschooled and ordinary. The difference between them and others was not their status, their level of education or their accomplishments. What was noted about these men was that they had been spending time with Jesus. Being with Jesus is what made them stand out in the crowd - nothing more, nothing less - just devoted time in His presence. And time in His presence gave them the courage to speak up.

Father God, I pray that as I spend time with You my life would be a beautiful reflection of You in me. When people look at me, it is my heart's desire that they would see You instead. I ask Lord that You would give this unschooled, ordinary woman greater confidence and courage to speak boldly and testify about all that You have done for me, and the truths You have revealed to me in Your Word. Thank You for saving my life. Use my life for Your purposes and Your glory. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is my prayer also. There's nothing greater than finding yourself in a position where the URGE to speak and share our Jesus is so great that you feel like you're going to explode if you don't testify. I am just an ordinary woman too with no confidence of my own but when the Holy Spirit is nudging me to speak, I have a choice; speak or ignore Him. For me, there is no question what I'll do.

    Thank you for these encouraging words Pam. I take them to heart.

    ReplyDelete