Monday, February 28, 2011

Find Rest, O My Soul

Installment #21 of my self-assigned project to study the "re" words in God's Word. (For further explanation of this undertaking, refer to the entry titled "Reach, Read and Reap" from February 3, 2011.)

____________________________________________________________________________

Rest


(noun) refreshing quiet or ease; mental or spiritual calm; relief or freedom from things that worry, trouble or weigh down

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
   my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
   He is my fortress, I will not be shaken." 
Psalm 62:5-6

As the Audrey Assad song goes, "I am restless, til I rest in You O God." This Psalm expresses confidence in God. Confidence that He is my place of rest, my rock, my salvation, my fortress and because I trust that He is all these things and more for me, I should not be shaken. Verse 5 implies a quietness of soul before God, the only place such spiritual calm can be found. When I try to reason things out in the flesh or take control of the reigns of my life, it most often leaves me feeling restless and out of sorts in my mind. But when I resolve to rest in God, in His Word and on His promises, my soul enters a peaceful place of rest.

Lord Jesus, this Psalm and the words of the song mentioned ring so true in my life. I too often process things to death and forget to rest in You and on Your promises. I know that I know that You work against the odds and in ways that are beyond my comprehension. Even when my circumstances tell me to fear, You will give me peace if I rest my soul in You. In Jesus' name I pray that more and more my soul would be at ease, at rest, in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment