Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Refine Me, Lord

Installment #4 of my self-assigned project to study the "re" words in God's Word. (For further explanation of this undertaking, refer to the entry titled "Reach, Read and Reap" from February 3, 2011.)

_________________________________________________________________________

 Refine


(verb) to bring to a pure state; free from impurities; to purify from what is coarse, vulgar or debasing; to remove something impure or extraneous

"For You, God, tested us; You refined us like silver." Psalm 66:10 

"See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
For My own sake, for My own sake, I do this. How can I let Myself be defamed? I will not yield My glory to another." Isaiah 48:10-11


When I read the word "refine", purification comes to mind. If I am going to grow more and more into the likeness of my Lord, I must be purified in such a way as to remove the impurities from my life. It is a process often referred to as the Refiner's Fire. As Isaiah 48 implies above, it is a testing of my faith by means of affliction, meant to remove the impurities from my life. The trials and sufferings God allows in my life - the ones He invites me into - are for His kingdom purposes. My afflictions are meant to make me to run to God, not away from God. When I am tested and continue to put my faith and hope and trust in Christ, even when it's hard, my response brings glory (vs. shame) to God's name, and points others to Him.

Thank You Father for loving me enough not to leave me the way I am. Though it sometimes hurts, and sometimes is tough, I am grateful for the refining process. It removes the impurities and hindrances in my life and makes me more like You. May the way I live my life for You, and the way I respond to sufferings bring You fame. Continue to refine me Lord until I am a true reflection of You. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment