Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reputation Matters

Installment #17 of my self-assigned project to study the "re" words in God's Word. (For further explanation of this undertaking, refer to the entry titled "Reach, Read and Reap" from February 3, 2011.)

____________________________________________________________________________

Reputation


(noun) the estimation in which a person or thing is generally held; overall quality and character as seen or judged by people

"If you argue your case with a neighbor, do not betray another man’s confidence, or he who hears it may shame you and you will never lose your bad reputation. A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:9-11

Reputation matters. God's Word implies that my reputation is impacted by the words I choose to speak. With my words I can build someone up or tear them down. And if I am doing the latter, I am likely gossiping. A pastor once said something that really stuck with my husband and I and has served as a guideline for our speech ever since. Pastor John Russell said, "If you're not part of the problem, or part of the solution, then it's gossip!" Plain and simple. Gossiping about others not only damages their reputation, but my own.

Reputation matters. It boils down to my actions and words. My actions should be in line with God's Word, and my words are to be edifying. If my walk doesn't match my talk then my reputation will be be at stake. God's Word says we are to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel - in a way that honors the Lord (Philippians 1:27). He says we are to encourage one another and build each other up, not tear each other down (1 Thessalonians 5:11). And we are to respect everyone, even when they let us down or make us mad (1 Peter 2:17) The person's actions may not be respectable and may downright be sinful in some cases, but out of obedience to God I should respect the person as His creation, and I know no other way to this than through my words, or lack thereof. It takes me back to the saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Reputation matters. It matters in the greatest sense to me because I am a representation of Jesus to those around me. And for some, I may be the only "Jesus" they will ever see. As mentioned in yesterday's blog, I must strive to be above reproach in both my words and actions, because I respresent more than just Pamela... I represent my family, and more importantly, Christ.

Lord Jesus, help me to represent You well and strive to have a reputation that is above reproach. Tame my tongue when it is tempted to sin and purify my heart so that my motives are pure in Your sight, I pray. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment