Friday, February 25, 2011

I Resolve To...

Installment #19 of my self-assigned project to study the "re" words in God's Word. (For further explanation of this undertaking, refer to the entry titled "Reach, Read and Reap" from February 3, 2011.)

____________________________________________________________________________

Resolve


(verb) to determine or come to a definite, earnest decision about; to be deliberate


King Jehosaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord and declared a fast for all of Judah.
(2 Chronicles 20:3, NIV)

David resolved that his mouth would not sin.
(Psalm 17:3, NIV)

In Ezekiel 20 the Lord resolves three different times to pour out His wrath in anger against the Israelites. The first time it was for rebelling against Him, not listening, not casting away things that were detestable to His eyes and not forsaking their idols (verse 8). The second time He  poured out His wrath because they did not walk in His statutes, they rejected His ordinances and spoke badly about the Sabbath (verse 13). Thirdly, He poured out His wrath again for rebelling and not keeping His statues, ordinances or the Sabbath (verse 21). (NASB)

Daniel resolved not to defile himself with royal food and wine.
(Daniel 1:8, NIV)

The apostles and elders met together to resolve issues.
(Acts 15:6, NLT)

Paul advises that Christians should be able to resolve ordinary disputes in this life without involving the courts.
(1 Corinthians 6:3, NLT)

As I read this declarations of resolve from scripture, I am led to examine my own life. Is there an area of disobedience? Is there an area where I am struggling and need to resolve, with God's help, to choose His ways over my own?

  • Is there an issue I need to fast and pray over in order to hear from the Lord?
  • Is my mouth getting me into trouble and causing me to sin, even in small ways?
  • Am I rebelling against the Lord?
  • Am I listening to the Lord and doing what He says?
  • Have I destroyed all things in my home that would be considered detestable in God's eyes?
  • Am I allowing anyone or anything to sit on the throne of my life besides Jesus?
  • Am I keeping the Sabbath?
  • Am I defiling myself with choice foods vs. that which is good for my body, the temple of the Holy Spirit?
  • Are there any issues or disputes that need to be resolved in my life?
These verses bring up lots to think about and consider for me personally. It's good to examine my life like this every so often. I want to live a life that is pure and pleasing to my Lord.

Father, as I consider Your ways vs. my choices, I pray You would show me where I have gone astray. Please give me the courage to resolve to choose You instead. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment