Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reach, Read, Reap

Sitting in a Bible study class last week the instructor made mention that there are a lot of words in God's Word that begin with the letters "re". Intrigued, I began to think of Biblical words off the top of my head that met the criteria. Making a list around the edge of my paper, I included my own definition of the prefix "re" and noted verses that correlate. Word girl that I am, I was fascinated! My mind wouldn't let it rest so I decided I would do some exploring later. Well...it's later, and I am doing just that!

"Re" is sometimes used as a prefix to a word, and other times seems to just be the first two letters, but may still have some qualities of the prefix definition. Let me explain.

As I sat there without resources for research, I jotted down the phrase "'re' means to do over". And I thought of these two passages...

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
 
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" Isaiah 43:19

These verses came to mind as a reminder that God is making all things new. So many "re" words in the Bible are an indication of that. I have decided to hopscotch through a list of them, researching the definition, selecting a passage and writing my thoughts or impressions on a few words each day. My goal at the end of my self-assigned project is to combine the God-making-things-new-kind of "re" words with other significant ones in such a way that they tell a story. I will work my way through the words I select in alphabetical order beginning with "Reach"...

Reach

(verb)  to succeed in touching with an outstretched hand

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.” Luke 19:10

Jesus came with outstretched hand to reach a lost and dying world.

Read

(verb) to look at carefully so as to understand the meaning of

"They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read." Nehemiah 8:8

When I read and study God's Word He unveils the mystery of it so that I may understand. With understanding my mind is renewed and ultimately I am changed.

Reap

(verb) to gather a harvest; to gain or collect as a reward

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." 2 Corinthians 9:6

God's Word says we reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7). Sow mercy, receive mercy. Sow evil, reap evil. Sow love, receive love. And sometimes in His graciousness, we even reap the benefits of what someone else has sown (John 4:38). If we keep sowing into the Kingdom we will reap a harvest if we do not give up (Galatians 6:9).

Father God, thank You for the insight that studying Your Word brings to my life. Thank You for giving me a love for words and the Word. Help me Father to live the gospel and be an instrument through which You can reach a lost and dying world. As I read Your Word I pray the message of it would permeate my soul, renew my mind and change me into Your likeness. And Father, when the time is right, I believe Your Word that I will reap a harvest for any seeds sown. Thank You for Your faithfulness. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment