Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Remain in Me

Installment #10 of my self-assigned project to study the "re" words in God's Word. (For further explanation of this undertaking, refer to the entry titled "Reach, Read and Reap" from February 3, 2011.)

_________________________________________________________________________

Remain


(verb) to continue in the same state; to stay behind or in the same place; to rest, stay, continue, dwell or abide

"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 'I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.'" John 15:4-5

"When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts." Acts 11:23

These two verses speak to different aspects of the word "remain". The first reminds me that when I dwell, rest, spend time with Christ, and He with me, I will bear much fruit for His kingdom, because I will know what His will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2). If I am not abiding in Him, my life will be pretty fruitless!

The second passage focuses on Barnabus who, hearing about a move of God in Antioch where many were coming to know the Lord, was sent there to witness God's grace and encourage the people. Many were turning away from the faith due to persecution, but he went to inspire them to keep on keeping on. To continue their work in Christ, trusting Him with all their hearts, regardless of what the world, the flesh or the devil sent their way. He challenged them to purpose in their heart to abide in Christ. To be intentional about it. Instead of a shallow, trial-run commitment, he spurred them on to be so committed they could not be stopped.

Lord Jesus, I ask You to bless and empower me as I choose to remain in You. Help me to purpose in my heart to abide in You. To be intentional about it. Help me to foster a faith and commitment to You that are unstoppable! I pray this in Jesus' name, amen.

Smith, Chuck. "Acts 11:23." The Word for Today. Blue Letter Bible.1 May 2005. 2011. 15 Feb 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment