Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Purpose of the Thorn

"'My grace is sufficient for you, My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 
2 Corinthians 12:9

Paul, speaking of the "thorn" in his flesh, is told by Jesus, "My grace is sufficient for you..." A thorn in the flesh may represent a weakness, ongoing circumstance, infirmity, or even a disease that the Lord has divinely permitted in a believer's life. The reasons for the thorn seem to vary. In verse 7, it implies the cause is to keep the believer humble. Verse 8 shows how it can drive us into the presence of the Lord in prayer. And in verse 9, to show others the all-sufficient power of God's grace; that in Christ we are strong even through weakness.

Are my "thorns" keeping me humble - or making me angry and frustrated to the point I risk discrediting my witness?

Driving me to prayer - or a false source of comfort?

Showing others the sufficiency of Christ in my weakness - or do I have a complaining spirit?

Is it evident, that in spite of my circumstances, faults, weaknesses, infirmities, or disease, that Christ's power rests on me - or by my words and actions am I giving Christ a bad name?

Am I using that God-given power to bring Him glory - or bring Him shame?

Father, my heart's desire is to be gracious and humble, to be a woman of prayer, displaying Your  grace and sufficiency in my life in spite of my faults and weaknesses. I want my life to bring You honor and glory in all that I do and say. Empower me I pray. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment