Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Unexpected Blessings

Read Psalm 78:11-25.

The Israelites so easily forgot the things the Lord had done and the wonders He had shown them when hard times came upon them again. I am trying to learn from their example and instead, choose to believe God's promises, remember His goodness and reflect on all He's done for me when hard times come. I want to remember the unexpected blessings and unusual ways God has answered prayer and given me the desires of my heart. After all, as referenced in this passage, who among the Israelites would have ever dreamed that God would meet their need for food by opening the doors of heaven and sending manna down like rain (v. 23-24)? Even in His anger over their disbelief in His ability to meet their needs, the Bible says in v. 23 "yet" God showed them favor and sent down "the bread of angels" (v. 25).

I serve a God with the most incredible imagination and unlimited resources. He answers my prayers and blesses me in ways and by means I could never imagine. Sometimes it seems God blesses just to bless - I love that! Other times, He brings blessing out of difficulty, lack of faith, or pain... and sometimes I can't see the rainbow until after the rain.

My God is always working in my favor. Always working the circumstances of my life together for my good and  for His glory (Romans 8:28). He is constantly working on me to make me better - to make me more like Him. He promises to meet my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19). Even in my unbelief He may choose to bless, to convince me yet again of His faithfulness (Psalm 78:25).

Thank You Father for showing me the importance of believing Your every Word, learning from the living examples in Your Word, and trusting You to meet my needs and work all things in my life together for my good. Help me to keep reflecting on Your faithfulness in my life and not to forget all that You have done for me, so that I can walk in greater faith and confidence in You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment