Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Heart Issues

"Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts..." Psalm 95:7b-8a

The Israelites had hardened their hearts at Meribah and Massah which were places they had quarreled with, and tested the Lord (Exodus 17:7). In this Psalm they are being cautioned to pay attention to their heart condition and not let that happen again. I must heed the same warning. If I want to enter into the Lord's rest (v. 15), I must receive what the Lord has to say to me, walk in obedience, trust Him and not let my heart grow cold or hard. I like the powerful and convicting word Matthew Henry conveys in his commentary, "Nothing is more offensive to God than disbelief of His promise and despair of the performance of it because of some difficulties that seem to lie in the way. The more experience we have have had in the power and goodness of God the greater our sin if we distrust Him! Hardness of heart is at the bottom of all our distrusts with God and quarrels with Him... The murmurings of Israel 'were written for our admonition' (1 Corinthians 10:11)."

Lord, let me hear Your voice, trust Your promises, learn from Your Word, and respond with a heart that is willing to be shaped by You. I ask this in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment