Thursday, May 26, 2011

Open Heart, Open Hand

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act." Proverbs 3:27

The phrase "do not withhold" is a command that implies God's expectation of me. He expects me not to hold tightly to the things He has given me, because His desire is that I would have a generous, servant's heart. Everyone has something to give, be it time, talent or treasure. God wants to use His children to bless others and meet needs when it is within their ability to do so. When God lays it on my heart to do or to give something, it is my responsibility to respond with obedience and a cheerful "Yes, Lord!" for God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Galatians 6:10 says, "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially those who belong to the family of believers."

I believe God wants me to give when I have plenty, and give even when I am in want, living with an open heart and open hand. Open to be obedient. For even when I am in want, I can give from the things I have excess of, or I can give my time, my talent, my treasure, a listening ear, or a smile and a word of encouragement. As a believer with a desire to love God and serve others I should be giving myself away!

Lord Jesus, thank You for teaching me to live with an open heart and open hand. I want to be Your hands and feet and serve those around me. And may You get the glory for any good that comes out of me. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment