Sunday, May 15, 2011

Minding My Own Business

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands...so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Continuing on in this passage from yesterday, God's Word says I should not only aspire to lead a quiet life, but I should be minding my own business. This is not to be minsconstrued as living isolated and apart from others with no concern for anyone but myself, but one who lives a quiet life and does not seek to stir up contention, strife or division. From another angle, this does not imply that issues between people should be brushed under the rug either. The Bible clearly says in Matthew 18:15, "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you." Then gives further instruction on resolve. The Lord does not want us to turn away from troubles but face them and work through them.  2 Thessalonians 3:11 says, "We hear some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies." This verse gets to the meaning of the first. It is not God's plan that I should be idle and stirring the pot, so to speak, meddling in other people's business that does not concern me or my family.

Instead of meddling, Paul says in this passage that I should be busy working with my own hands. Busy about my own calling - doing diligently the things that Christ has called me to do personally. And I should work at those things with honesty, decency and credability so as to represent the gospel well. In this way I will gain the respect of outsiders (unbelievers). I should work hard and not be slothful, trusting God to be my Provider.

Father God, I thank You for your clear instruction. Help me Lord to cautiously mind my own business and keep my hands busy working on the things You have called me to. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment