Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pour It, Lord!

"For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring, and My blessings on your descendants." Isaiah 44:3

God often works in the realm of abundance. When I am thirsty for Him or seem to have hit a dry spell, He doesn't just want to give me a drizzle or sprinkle a few drops of His Spirit to keep me going. If I ask for and receive it in faith, His Word says He will "pour" out His Spirit on me. Not only does He want to pour out His Spirit; He also wants to pour out His blessings, on me and my family (my offspring and my descendants). David Guzik's commentary on Isaiah 44 says, "God is looking for dry ground to pour out His floods upon."

God wants to pour His freedom giving, abundant living, free flowing Spirit on His people. "If you experience a few drops, God wants to pour. If you are bone dry, God wants to pour. If you know the pour, God wants to keep pouring! We must learn to stop saying 'when' as God pours!" (Guzik)

Did you catch that last phrase? "We must learn to stop saying 'when' as God pours!" God's blessings are those things He deems best for me. Those things in my life that bring Him the most glory. Sometimes the blessing of His will comes through seemingly difficult situations, but if I believe "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28), then I must believe He will bring His good out of every hard, painful or uncomfortable situation, as well as the good ones. If I ask Him to bless me and pour out His Spirit upon me and then say, "stop...I didn't want You to bring it that way," then I am questioning His will and that must be so disheartening to His ears. If I truly trust that He knows best for me, then I cannot question the way He chooses to bless me.

There is an old hymn that says,

Showers of blessings, showers of blessings we need.
Mercy-drops 'round us are falling,
But for the showers we plead.

Are you willing to ask for and receive an outpouring?

Rain down Your blessings on me O Lord. Pour out Your Spirit on me like a flood. I ask for and receive it Lord. I desperately want more of You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment