Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Quiet Life

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

God's Word says I should aspire or study to lead a quiet life. A life that is not caught up with self or the world and its entertainment, but caught up with God. Matthew Henry's Commentary says, "Satan is very busy to disquiet us; and we have that in our own hearts that disposes us to be disquiet; therefore let us study to be quiet." Let me study to be calm, peaceful and satisfied in Christ, intentionally listening for His still, small voice. Let me strive to live for what is right, true, good and godly and not for the thrill of the next fun thing. Though it is not a sin to have fun (within the boundaries of God's Word), if I am not satisfied with my life in Christ apart from having something fun on the horizon, my life may be lacking spiritually. I must examine whether I am truly living for Christ, or the next big thing. A convicting thought for me is to consider my words - do I talk more about Christ or my calendar?

Father, it is my desire to grow in You with a gentle and quiet spirit. Help me to strive for quiet, even when Satan tries to disquiet my life. Remind me quickly to bring whatever disquiet he stirs up to You, so that  through prayer and Your Word my soul can find rest even in the midst of a storm. Help me enjoy the blessings and pleasures You allow in my life, but live for You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment