Tuesday, July 30, 2013

From the Head to the Heart

"He [Jesus] replied, 'My mother and brothers are those who hear God's Word 
and put it into practice.'" Luke 8:21

So often the tendency is to read or hear the truths of God's Word, think it sounds like a good idea, but walk away and fail to apply it. God doesn't want us to take in His Word to store up as head knowledge. Even the enemy knows scripture. No, God's deep desire is that we apply it to our lives.

     apply uh-plahy -verb

     1. To make use of as relevant; suitable or pertinent.
     2. To put to use, especially for a particular purpose.
     3. To bring into action; use; employ.
     4. To devote or employ diligently or with close attention.
     5. To place in contact with; lay or spread on.
     6. To attach to, to devote oneself to.

Those that the Lord considers close, like family, are those that understand His Word is something to devote themselves to. They spread it over areas of their lives that didn't previously line up with God's Word. They are said to put it into practice. Faithful followers of Christ are not just hearers of the Word, but doers of the work. Knowledge gained makes it from the head to the heart.

I must regularly examine my life, especially as I read God's Word. When read His directives in the scriptures it should prompt me to consider my ways and ask, "Does my life line up with the Word?" If it doesn't, I should immediately repent, be intentional about turning myself in a new direction, and put God's Word into practice. Anything less would be sin on my part because the Bible says to be doers of the Word, not hearers only. In so doing, one's life - if not lined up with scripture - should radically change and look more and more like Christ sooner, rather than later. 

Father God, I pray You would continue to show me Your ways through Your Word, and give me a willing spirit as I apply Your truths to my life. Bring about radical change in any areas where I am "off" I pray. I want to walk close to You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment