Saturday, July 6, 2013

Believing is a Choice

"Abram believed the LORD, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Genesis 15:6

Abram was conversing with the LORD about who would get his inheritance since he didn't have any children. He figured he would have to leave everything to one of his servants. But the LORD responded, "This man [one of your servants] will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." (v. 4) Abram was promised that his offspring would be too numerous to count. So he took the LORD at His Word and believed Him. 

Take note, Abram didn't merely believe in Him - even the demons do that (James 2:19). Abram believed the words He spoke. He believed the LORD's promise made to him. This trust in the LORD was what He credited to Abram's account as righteousness.

This causes me to ponder my own life... Are there promises I'm questioning? Do I let my circumstances, my inability to see what God is doing behind the scenes, cloud my view and cause me to question His promise-keeping abilities? Or I do stand firm in all things, taking God at His Word, believing Him no matter how things look? Believing Him starts with knowing His Word and what He promises in the first place. 

I save myself some worry and anxious thoughts when I choose to take God at His Word versus believe the lies the enemy tries to plant in my head. When the lies surface, those things contrary to God's Word, I can choose to entertain them and live in fear or doubt, or choose to take those thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5) and replace them with the truth of God's Word...His promises. Believing is a choice - an act of the will. I choose to believe God.

Father God, I have come to understand that freedom from worry, freedom from anxiety, freedom from sin is found in wholeheartedly believing You. Help me to take my thoughts captive and trust Your every Word. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment