Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Soil

"...the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word,
retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." Luke 8:15

This is the parable of the sower and the soil. Here, Jesus is speaking to a large crowd about the seed and what comes of it as it lands on different types of ground. When His disciples ask Him to explain the meaning, He shares that the "seed" represents the Word of God. Where it falls determines whether it will grow. If it falls along the path with no place to take root, the enemy carries it away and the hearer does not believe. If it falls on the rocks, the hearer may receive it with joy but it doesn't take root; in the time of testing they quickly fall away. If it falls among thorns, it may take root but life's troubles and worries choke it out and it fails to grown and mature. But if the seed falls on good soil, the hearer receives it in his heart, applies it to his life, and perseveres in a way that produces a crop. 

persevere [pur - s uh - veer] verb
to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficult,
obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly

The key is to not only be a hearer of the Word only, but a doer. James 1:22 says, "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." I cannot just hear the Word and survey the scriptures and expect it to change me. I must apply it to my life and to my sin. Though hearts may be touched or moved by the Word, they are not changed by hearing alone...hearts are changed in the doing of what it says. Consistent, persistent, steadfast doing is what then produces a crop.

Father God, help me as I strive to consistently apply Your Word to my heart and my mind. Change me as I apply it so that my actions line up with Your Word. I want my life to be a reflection of You, a reflection of the gospel, and to produce a crop. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment