Saturday, July 20, 2013

Watching My Step

"If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm;
though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand." 
Psalm 37:23-24

God orders the steps of a good man both by His Word, and in the whispers of his conscience; that still, small voice that says, "This is the way, walk in it." In those moments, when I turn away from the desires of my flesh and go where He leads me, it brings my LORD delight, and He responds by making my steps firm, as on level ground. He is pleased when I heed His guidance.

If a good man is overtaken by fault, the grace of God is able to rescue and restore him through the process of repentance. Though he may feel shame or embarrassment, and his spirit may be downcast for a time, the LORD upholds him with His righteous right hand. He is able to bring him back to the joy of his salvation. He will not be destroyed.

The watchful eye of the LORD is upon me, watching my every step. He sees me when I choose the path of life, and smiles. He sees me when I falter. The New King James Version words verse 23 this way, "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way." It is most pleasing to God when I consult Him on each decision I make. Quite frankly, I find that easier to do on the big decisions. It's the seemingly small ones where I falter. Like today's dilemma... whether I should spend money on a new top to wear for an event next week, or put that few dollars toward an unpaid medical bill. I try to justify what my flesh wants, but deep down I know the honorable thing to do, as much as I don't prefer it. It is in these little everyday decisions that I must really examine my choices. Proverbs 4:26 instructs, "Ponder the path of your feet, then all your ways will be sure." (Sounds like a verse I need to post on my bathroom mirror!) When I yield my decisions big and small to the Lord, He directs my steps in the way that brings Him the most honor and glory. Today for me that means, put money towards the bill and forego the shopping trip...

Father God, Your ways are perfect. If I want to walk blameless, I must strive to yield every area of my life to You, and bring every decision to be made under the umbrella of Your will. You have always been an "if/then" God. If I will commit my ways to You, then You promise to make my steps firm. Today I choose to steer clear of the clothing store and rest in You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment