Friday, July 12, 2013

Misery Acknowledged

[An angel of the LORD to Hagar]  
"...the LORD has heard of your misery." Genesis 16:11c

[Hagar to the LORD]
"'...You are the God who sees me,' for she said, 'I have now seen the One who sees me.'" 
Genesis 16:13

Hagar, having been used by Sarai to bear a child in her barrenness, and then mistreated while pregnant, runs away miserable. Before long, she is met with an angel of the LORD who listens to her story and gives her clear instruction. He tells her to "go back" to her mistress Sarai and submit to her. At the same time, he gives her a promise of "increase" -- that she will have descendants too numerous to count. 

During this encounter, the angel of the LORD acknowledged her misery. Nothing is hidden from God's sight! Her cry of affliction was heard, for "tears speak as well as prayers." (Henry)

With grateful reflection, Hagar acknowledges the LORD and His goodness. There, she turns the well where the encounter took place into a memorial; a place to remember where the LORD cared for her in a time of distress. The God that sees all, saw her. The memorial was a reminder. The God that sees all, sees me too. May I never forget!

Is anything causing me distress today? Am I running away from any circumstances where I should be staying and submitting and crying out to the Lord, instead of putting my running shoes on? Though the answer may not be immediate, I must not forget that my God sees me and He hears my cries. He is my Vindicator and in His time, He will make things right. May I find rest and peace in that...

God, I know You see me. In joy, in despair, in misery...You see me. And Your grace is upon me. May this knowledge ever keep me far from sin and close to You, eager to do Your will. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment