Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Nothing to Hide

"For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open." Luke 8:17

This is the parable of the lighted lamp. God's Word says that no one lights a lamp only to cover it up. No, they light it and put it on a stand so those that come in can see the light. It is meant to pierce the darkness. Nothing is hidden when the light shines forth.

So it is with believers. We are meant to be the light in a dark world. Matthew Henry says, "Ministers that have the dispensing of the gospel committed to them, people that have profited by the Word and are thereby qualified to profit others, must look upon themselves as lighted candles...for a candle must not be covered with a vessel nor put under a bed (v. 16)." If we as believers daily spend time in the Word, and we apply it to our present lives, we are then "qualified to profit others". As I take in nuggets of truth for myself, I then have truth to draw upon to encourage others as well. I'm able to build others up, not with shallow words or worldly wisdom, but with truth.

Because the light pierces the darkness and God's Word says "there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed," I must be careful to consistently apply His Word to my life. My light is meant to shine before man, therefore I am called to not only be good, but to do good. Our sins will find us out. In fact this is a prayer I often pray over my own family, that our sins would find us out; that we might walk blameless before God. Better to live honest and open. It is best to live with nothing to hide!

The same holds true for gifts and talents, according to this parable. God did not bless us with abilities to have them hidden, but to manifest them in us and have them made known. They are to be made use of for the glory of God, or they may be taken away. Verse 18 says whoever has "gifts, and does good with them, shall have more; but he that buries his talent shall lose it." (Henry) The NIV says it "will be taken from him." (Maybe that's where the "use it or lose it" catch phrase came from.) I want to use my gifts for God's glory, to the best of my ability.

Thank You Father, that You are the Light of the world, and Your light is in me. Help me Lord to shine before man and share the truths that You teach me in such a way as to profit others. Help me to use my gifts and talents for Your glory. I love You Lord, and want my life to be fragrant with You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment