Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Purpose in the Thorn

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

God has a purpose for allowing the thorns in our lives. It is to keep us from the temptation to be conceited, or think more highly of ourselves than we ought.

Thorns, according to God's Word, may come in the form of weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions or difficulties in things such as relationships, health, finances, work issues, and so on, to name a few. A thorn is that which makes us weak in our flesh, but through which we can be made strong in Christ. Though God can absolutely remove a thorn any time He so desires, it may bring Him more glory to leave it there as a reminder to not get prideful. And if He decides to leave it, He promises that His grace alone will be sufficient, more than enough, to endure it. For His power is seen more clearly and made perfect in His eyes through my weaknesses.

If I were perfect I wouldn't need a Savior. But since I am not, and never will be, I am eternally grateful for the Father that loves me and whose thoughts toward me outnumber the grains of sand on the seashores...faults, shortcomings, weaknesses and all.

Thank You Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment