Monday, April 18, 2011

Blessed Troubles

"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all." 
Psalm 34:19

The troubles of a righteous man are tools in the hand of a holy God for the purpose of making good. Troubles, thorns and afflictions are meant to refine my character and make me more like Christ. My troubles, in other words, are meant to do me good, not harm. That doesn't mean they won't be painful, but through the pain God can create something good, something beautiful in me.

As a believer I can tend to look at non-believers and assess that they have fewer troubles than me, and that very well may be true. The trouble is, the unbeliever may be overlooking the most significant problem in their entire life... their sin, and their need for a Savior. If they overlook the biggest issue in their life, the worst evil of all will befal them and lead to their eternal ruin. In light of hell, these momentary troubles are the worst I will ever have to endure, because I have taken care of that sin problem and asked Jesus to be my Savior. I am assured that I will, between here and heaven, be rescued from all of my troubles. In light of these two options, I would rather go through life struggling, with God at my side, and choose to look at my problems as blessed troubles that I will one day be delivered from!

Lord, on days like today when I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders I am quickly reminded not to use that phrase. You, O God, are the only One that knows what the weight of the world feels like. Thank You for carrying that burden on Your shoulders to the cross because of Your great love for me. I trust You to be my Deliverer from the things that weigh me down in Your perfect time. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment