Thursday, April 28, 2011

Inside the Heart

"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me." Matthew 15:8

Reading this verse I am reminded of what the LORD said to Samuel in 1 Samuel 16:7... "People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." Humanly, it may be hard to determine where another person's heart is. Only the LORD knows where one's loyalties lie, or to where one turns when no one is looking. Lip service does not always equal heart devotion. God is interested in what is real inside the heart.

Some keep up a face of godliness to the world but live a far different life behind closed doors. This would be a loose definition of a hypocrite. The Greek definition of this word is "one who pretends to be what he is not". The dictionary defines a hypocrite as a "person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc. that he or she does not actually possess [or practice], especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs" (additonal words, mine). In other words, with reference to the key passage from Matthew above, saying one thing and doing another.

Q: Does my talk match my walk?

Father, wherever I may fail You, please help my talk match my walk. Help my public words line up with my private devotion. May my heart's passion for You remain pure and true and my words be the overflow of a heart whose affections are set on You. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment