Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Message

"To what then can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 
They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge, and you did not cry.'" Luke 7:31-32

Jesus, speaking to a crowd in the marketplace after performing signs and wonders, admonishes them for refusing to be pleased by either His ministry or John the Baptist's. Those who had repented and been baptized found it easy to believe the things that Jesus said. But those with hardened hearts were hypocritical. "This is the ruin of multitudes, they can never persuade themselves to be serious in the concerns of their souls." (Henry)  "If the message is unwelcome, nothing the messenger can say or do will be right." (Macleren)

So, shall we just stop trying? By all means, no! We have been called to be like Jesus, to preach the good news to the poor. Only God knows the condition of one's heart. Whether to one or one thousand, rich or poor, open-minded or hard hearted - regardless of the response I get - we are given the same instruction, preach the gospel. My words, my actions, my life, should point to the One I live for...Jesus.

Father God, help my thoughts and actions line up with Your will and Your ways, for out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. I want my life to be a reflection of You; an accurate display of the gospel. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment