Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blessings Forfeited

"Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you." Genesis 12:13

In this passage (Genesis 12:10-20), Abram and Sarai sojourn to Egypt during a severe famine in the land of Canaan. Afraid of being killed, fear consumes Abram and he falls into sin when he asks his wife to lie (v. 13). He instructs her to say she is his sister so he will be protected, instead of trusting God for protection and provision. Upon further study, it is made mention that Sarai really is Abram's half sister, so there was partial truth, but his intent was deceptive. In following through with the request, Abram and Sarai fail under trial and forsake the Lord's blessing.

Matthew Henry's Commentary on the passage summarizes it this way, "for we tempt God, and do not trust Him, if, in the time of distress, we use not the means He has graciously provided for our preservation." To Abram's credit, they did not return to their native land when the famine got too hard to bear. He chose to go to Egypt instead so they would not so much as look back to the place from which they'd come. Though most known for his faith in the scriptures, Abram's fear in this case, caused him to fall into unbelief, and he stopped trusting in God's promises and abilities long enough to give way to sin.

Where have I failed in the same way? When have I forgotten God's faithfulness and let fear take root, causing my mind to doubt those things I know full well to be true? Has my unbelief led me to sin? Do I realize the blessings I forfeit when I do not trust God, in spite of how dismal my circumstances may seem at the time?

Father God, You alone are my Provider and Protector and You are trustworthy. Even when my circumstances tell me to fear, help me as I trust in You! In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment