Wednesday, August 21, 2013

When God Moves

"I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;
He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:1-3

I love this passage! In 2006 it became the life verse for our marriage after God had done a mighty work in our lives. It was used as the key scripture for our vow renewal ceremony one beautiful October morning that year as we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary.

As the passage starts out in verse 1, David declares that he has waited patiently for the LORD. If I could change just one word to make it most accurate to fit my own story, it would be that one. Though we waited and worked through things the better part of those first fifteen years together with fortitude and perseverance, I would say it was not always with calm and without complaint. We were not always super patient. Nonetheless, we hoped and looked to God knowing He was the only One who had the power to deliver and heal. Like David, we expected relief to come from God, and God alone. We have come to believe that when waiting on God, though we may wait long, we will not wait in vain.

By verse 2, though there is no indication as to how much time has physically passed, God moves. He lifts David from "the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire," and all that represented for him. One moment his soul is downcast and he's crying out to the LORD, and in the next, God moves and rescues His child and his hope turns heavenward. Not only is he rescued, he's given firm footing; a solid foundation to stand on. Likewise, God moved in our marriage by bringing healing and freedom where it was needed. He pulled us out of the pit and gave us a firm foundation to stand on in our marriage, the solid rock of Christ!

In verse 3, David has cause to rejoice. Fresh mercies equate to a new song of praise to the Father in his heart. It's a song that no doubt has changed his countenance, and caused others to take notice. His deliverance encourages onlookers to ask questions, hear his story, see his passion and resolve to put their hope and trust in the LORD too, whatever pit they might find themselves in. I love that part! God gets all the glory.

We pray that the new song He gave us in our marriage has, and continues to, put the gospel on display. Our desire is to point others to Christ. He is our only hope. He is still in the rescuing business. 

Though it may feel like He's tarrying in your life, He will not delay. He always moves at just the right time. And when He does, may it prompt a song of praise!

Thank You Jesus for hearing my cries all those years ago, and moving to answer at just the right time. Looking back, I realize sometimes You don't answer immediately because You have a work to do in me in the process. But when You move to answer, wow! You rescue mightily from the pit! It's like giving a step up to a new, even firmer step to stand on. I thank You for making my footing sure and giving me cause to rejoice. May my life ever be a song of praise that points to You, my faithful God. I love You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment