Sunday, November 24, 2013

Losing My Life

"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me will save it."
Luke 9:24

We tend to toil doing so much to make our lives easier, more comfortable, yet these things have no lasting eternal value. How is that denying self? Not to say God doesn't bless with good circumstances and nice things. But if I become more concerned with preserving my own life, rights, freedom, interests or belongings - if I try to make things happen in my own strength rather than serve Christ, disregarding the things He has instructed me to do - then I am not living according to His Word and His will. If I get more concerned about me than living the life Christ has called me to, am I effectively denying myself and losing my life for Him? His Word says my life is saved when I lose it for His cause, and lost when I try to control and save it on my own terms.

When I get bogged down with the cares of my own little world vs. the cares of the world that matter to Christ, my spirit gets grumpy, dissatisfied or unsettled. It struggles to find peace. On the other hand, when I am focused on doing "all [things in word or deed] in the name of  the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God" (Colossians 3:17), my soul finds rest. Whether serving my family or doing mundane tasks in day-to-day life, doing my job or doing ministry, I can do all for the glory of the Lord. In fixing my thoughts on Him, I can pray for my family when I'm folding their clothes, work with excellence at the job God has provided, and be a reflection of Christ to those He puts in my path to minster to, and give Him glory. And in fixing my thoughts on Him, I can endure what comes my way. When I am living for Him and my soul is at peace, I can endure much. Matthew Henry says of this, "The body cannot be happy if the soul be miserable...but the soul may be happy though the body be greatly afflicted and oppressed in this world."

Thank You Jesus for the reminder to always fix my eyes and heart and thoughts on You. You are the source of my joy and my peace. In You and You alone my soul finds rest. Praise You! In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment