Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fruitful Lips

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess His name." Hebrews 13:15

When life is good, God is worthy of my praise. When life is frustrating, confusing or lacking direction, He is worthy of my praise. And when life is hard or painful, more than anything, I think He wants me to sacrifice the feelings of my flesh and praise His name. Sacrificial praise is costly - it costs me something and it may be inconvenient. On hard days praising Him can be difficult, but out of obedience to God to "continually" offer a sacrifice of praise, I must praise God anyway, especially when nothing in me feels like it. My words - spoken words, not just thoughts - should acknowledge Him, reflecting adoration and gratitude. Lips that praise His name are fruitful.


Father God, When life is good, praise comes easy. When life is hard, it can be a struggle. I have had many a hard day in the past - and will surely have more in the future - when my words of praise were barely more than a monotone act of obedience; a sacrifice of praise. In good times and in bad, I praise You Lord, because You are worthy. You are my God, and You are faithful. Each day, whatever comes my way, is a day You have said I should rejoice and be glad in. May my lips confess Your name through words of praise and bear fruit always. Today I choose to praise Your holy name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment