Thursday, July 17, 2014

Call Me Out

"The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then he remembered the word the Lord had spoke to him: 'Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.' And he went outside and wept bitterly." Luke 22:61-62

Jesus has just been arrested and taken into the home of the high priest. Peter had been following at a distance. Now in the wee hours of the morning, he stopped outside and took a seat by the fire that had been kindled in the courtyard. 


To his surprise, over the next couple of hours three different people recognized Peter as one associated with Jesus. With Jesus now in custody, it appears that fear washed over him when questioned, and fear answered...with denial. Forgetting that Jesus was watching, and with increasing indignation, he flat out said he did not know Him. Not once, not twice, but three times in a row he disassociated himself and went into self-preservation mode, probably fearing the same fate.

After the third denial, a rooster crowed. At that moment, Jesus looked straight at Peter. Not a word was said. Jesus' look said it all. Then Peter remembered what He had said, "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." Peter's heart was no doubt stricken with grief, remorse and shame, so "he went outside and wept bitterly."

Peter was easily recognizable as a one who had been with Jesus. One who walks with Him should be recognized as one who walks with Him. Followers of Christ should take on His likeness. Such was the case with Peter. Such should be the case with every believer.

And just as with Peter, the Lord's eyes are ever upon us too. He knows our every thought, word and deed. He knows when we do not honor Him. And when He calls us out, when He gives us "the look", if we are truly followers of Christ we will respond as Peter did, with grief, remorse or shame that lead to a heart of repentance.

Father God, I am thankful that walking with You makes me look more like You as I apply Your truths to my life. I love that I have that family resemblance! Looking like You means my thoughts, words and deeds should reflect Your character. God, I ask that You call me out when they don't. I admit that as of late as I've been praying expecatantly, I've gotten weary in the waiting for the answer. Though undergirded with resolve and faith, my weariness has led to a bit of a funk at times, my words and thoughts sprinkled with questions and moments of worry. In so doing it means I am doubting Your character and that is sin. It doesn't please You, it pleases the enemy. Please forgive me, Jesus. I believe, please help my unbelief! I ask You to quickly convict my heart when I stray so that I can make right my standing with You. I want my words, thoughts and actions to bring You praise, honor and glory. May they reflect the faith I stand upon. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment