Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My Heart's Desire

"They answered, 'We saw clearly that the LORD was with you..." Genesis 26:28

After spending time in Gerar Isaac became wealthy and powerful, so Abimilech the king asked him to move away. He went up to Beersheba with his wife Rebekah and there, Isaac pitched his tent and his servants dug a well for him. 

Meanwhile, Abimilech came up to see him, admitting he had been hostile toward Isaac when he lived in Gerar. Since his departure, the king had come to realize that Isaac was blessed by God and he wanted to make amends. It had become evident that the things Isaac put his hands to had the favor of God upon them. When he planted crops in Gerar they reaped a hundredfold the same year "because the LORD had blessed [Isaac]" (Genesis 26:12). His wealth grew (v. 13). He obtained so many flocks and herds and servants that the Philistines envied him (v. 14). In their envy, they plugged up Isaac's wells with dirt and the king asked him to move away (v. 16). In hindsight, Abimilech says to Isaac, "We saw clearly that the LORD was with you..." (v. 26).

Wouldn't that be my hearts desire? That those I encounter would be able to look back and say, "We saw clearly that the LORD was with [her]." That they could say, "She was blessed by the LORD."

Charles Spurgeon speaks wisely to this passage with regards to carefully choosing who we walk with. He says, "In your choice of friends, choose those who are friends of God. If you would have a blessing on your friendship, select a man whom God has blessed. Look out for one who is a disciple of Christ and say, 'Thou art the blessed of the Lord, therefore I seek thine acquaintance. Come under my roof; you will bring a blessing with you.'" He goes on to say he values a good man's blessing. 

We are blessed to be a blessing. Those who follow Christ and desire to do His will with all their heart are blessed, and they evoke a blessing on others. Just like Isaac's blessings blessed Abimilech, he just didn't realize it at the time. 

Father God, in my closest friendships I desire to walk with those that walk with You. Lord, I ask You to bless me that I might be a blessing. I ask for Your hand of favor to be upon those things I put my hand to when they are Your will for me. I choose to walk with You. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment