Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pep Talk for the Soul

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God."
Psalm 42:5

David is walking through a tough season of life. His circumstances are tempting Him to question God, asking "Why have you forgotten me?" and "Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" (v. 9)  In this Psalm, David experiences the pain of words that sting from his enemies. They taunt and tease him asking continually, "Where is your God?" (v. 3)  But even in the midst of the turmoil, David anchors himself to God. He wants nothing more, he knows he needs nothing more, than more of God.

Choosing to anchor himself to God first, David unloads the full weight of his grief and doubt and fear before Him, and then rides the storm out with Him. Though his sorrow is not without good reason, he must not let it overtake him. He must keep it in perspective in the grand scheme of things. He must keep the fear and grief in their proper place in his life so they don't consume him. So he gives himself a little pep talk as if having a conversation with his soul... "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?" Then David's faith kicks in and answers, "Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." (v. 5)

Sometimes my soul gets weighed down with the circumstances of life too. Sometimes fear gets out of its proper place in my life, and doubt creeps in. Sometimes pain causes me to lose my perspective for a while. In those times, I do best when I anchor myself to God, examine my heart, confess any sin on my part, and then ride out the storm holding on to Him, trusting Him to make things right or work them out for my good. Most importantly, I must find words of praise even when I don't feel them, for praise keeps me from sinking, and praise changes my perspective. It may not change my circumstance, but it will change the way I go through it and prayerfully, point others to the One sustaining me.

Thank You Jesus that my hope is in You. Thank You for showing me through seasons of need and desire for mercy, the true value of receiving mercy. Thank You that I can anchor myself to You, and for being there to hold me when the storms do come. I love You. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment